What is facial asymmetry surgery?
Neither does anyone have face that is perfectly symmetrical nor is symmetry necessary to become beautiful. However, skewed jaws may ruin the balance of the face and cause functional disabilities. If facial asymmetry causes bad pronounciation, difficult mastication, and bad postures, surgery is necessary.
- Anesthesia : General anesthesia
- Operation time : about 2~3 hours, 3 days
- Stitch removal : 2 weeks after operation
- Initial recovery : daily activity after 2 weeks
1. The central line of the face is not straight
2. The left and right sides of the jaw look different in length and angle
3. The mouth is skewed
4. The lower chin is wide
5. The central line of the face is not straight, with protruding chin, small chin, and protruding
Facial asymmetry surgical procedures
In case of facial symmetry, two-jaw surgery, genioplasty or mandible reduction surgery may be performed with post-surgery orthodontics.
Two-jaw surgery is recommended to the people who have malocclusion, mandibular prognathism, and mouth protrusion. After resection of mandible & maxilla, the jaw is relocated to the ideal side. If the bone defect occurs, bone graft is performed with resected bone. Changed location of maxilla & mandible to normal side will give you great satisfaction.
The tip of the chin is cut and shifted to bring the balance to the face.
Mandible reduction surgery
When the patient has facial asymmetry, mandible reduction surgery is performed along with two-jaw surgery. During the procedure of two-jaw surgery, the lower mandible is easily exposed, thus removing the angles of the mandible can be done easily. Bringing the balance to the mandibles can enhance facial asymmetry.
Steps of surgery