What is mandibular prognathism?
Mandibular prognathism occurs when the lower chin overgrows and protrudes, making the face long. Contouring procedures may be sufficient in case of protruding chin and occlusion.
- Anesthesia : General anesthesia
- Operation time : about 2~3 hours, 3 days
- Stitch removal : 2 weeks after operation
- Initial recovery : daily activity after 2 weeks
In case of wide jaw with malocclusion
We recommend mandibular prognathism procedure to patient with following conditions
1. Lower jaw is overdeveloped, or upper jaw is not fully developed
2. The jaw is relatively long, making the entire face look long
4. Difficulty in chewing and biting food
5. Protruding lower jaw that makes the central part of the face look flat and broad
What is surgery-first orthognatic approach?
Advantages of surgery-first orthognatic approach
You can experience immediate changes in appearance
Lengthy pre-surgery orthodontics is unnecessary. You can witness change in your appearance immediately.
You can have the surgery whenever you want.
Whereas the period of pre-surgery orthodontics and the exact date of surgery is difficult to predict, surgery-first orthognatic approach enables us to carry out the surgery on the desired date
Treatment period is shortened
In case of pre-surgery orthodontics, orthodontics takes up to one year and the treatment takes up to 6 months. However, surgery-first orthognatic approach reduces the entire procedure to 6 month - 1 year.
Steps of surgery